If you live in Pennsylvania, congratulations, you are part of the state that is home to 80% of the nation’s pretzel production! And not only do we make them, but Pennsylvanians are also responsible for most of the consumption of pretzels!
Whether you like them soft, stuffed, straight or twisted, here are some fun Pretzel facts you can snack on.
- It is estimated that each American consumes about two pounds of pretzels annually.
- In the United States, about $550 million worth of pretzels are sold annually.
- Snyder’s of Hanover, the snack food company in York County, was the country’s best-selling pretzel brand in 2016.
- Utz, also located in Hanover, York County, was the fourth-best selling pretzel brand in 2016.
- It is widely thought that pretzels originated in Italy in 610 A.D., made by Christian monks.
- It is also believed that the first pretzels in America came over on the Mayflower.
- The largest pretzel weighed in at 842 pounds and was 26.8 feet long and 10.2 feet wide!